Monday, August 18, 2008

Star of the Show

A few years ago I realized that I saw myself as the center of the action all around me - as if I am the star of my particular movie in life. Surely I'm not self centered??? But even though I loved serving others and giving, I still saw the movie as about me and my choices. I didn't want to be prideful or centered on self so I asked the Lord to help me.



He led me to practice seeing myself as a supporting actress in the movies of the lives of others, like my husband, children, grandchildren, close friends. Then He took me deeper and helped me see myself as filling a bit part in the lives of fellow church members, neighbors, other friends. Finally He showed me how to just be a walk on in the motion picture story of the check-out clerk or fellow shopper.


How do my actions cause joy or sorrow, confusion or peace in their lives?


This helped a lot in my attempts at unfocusing on me and focusing on Him and others. But recently there have been a lot of supporting roles and bit parts that added up to resentment of my roles in life. "Yes, we are called to be servants but does that mean I have no life of my own, uh, I mean doesn't my movie ever get shown at all?"


Finally after much grumbling and many tears of frustration and guilt on my part, the Lord spoke to my heart very clearly. "Let me be the star of the show."


Huh? Wow. It finally dawned on me: If Jesus is the star of the show, the center of the movie of my life, then I no longer have any reason to feel that servanthood steals from me. It's not my movie at all; it's His.


Hmm. That sounds familiar.


You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body. I Corinthians 6:19,20 NLT


What a relief. I can relax and let Him live His resurrection life through me and be The Star of the Show. And never be frustrated or resentful again.

Can't I?


I can do everything with the help of Christ who gives me the strength I need. Philippians 4:13 NLT

And so can you!

Jesus Others You

1 comment:

Tracy Ruckman said...

This is beautiful!! And so are you!!

Great visuals - I'll remember this, and repeat it, many times!