Thursday, May 10, 2012

Squash the ANTs

"The weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds...casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ."                                     II Cor. 10:4,5 
I was studying a book and cd by Dr. Daniel Amen the other day and he told the story about a boy he counseled who had negative thoughts constantly. That same day he went home and there was an ant invasion in his house and as he frantically tried to get rid of the ants he thought “This is how that boy’s mind is.” And he came up with an acronym ANTs - Automatic Negative Thoughts. I shared the following material at church and with a group of women at a Christian rehab center so thought I would also share it here. It’s taken from Dr. Amen’s material but I reworded some things and added the scripture verses to kill the ANTs with, and the FEAR acrostics (can’t remember the sources.)      
                                   
                                         Automatic Negative Thoughts
       Some breeds of ANTs you may recognize:                                                                          
1. All or Nothing “Since I messed up this time, I won’t ever be able to do it. Might as well not try.”

2. Always/Never “I’ve always been this way.” “Nothing will ever change for me”

3. Guilt “I should have...ought to...shouldn’t have...” _______ “Therefore I deserve:

4. Labeling “I’m...a jerk... lazy... fat... loser... slob... wimp...stupid... have no control over:___________ ” I’m _______________________________.

5. Fortune Telling “It will never work for me...Nothing ever changes...It’s in the cards...my destiny. It never fails..._________________________________

6.Mind Reading “My boss/spouse/friend/coworker/pastor etc. is mad at me/ hates me/doesn’t love me anymore. I know because they didn’t (or did)___________________

7. Blame “It’s in my genes...My parents taught me to act this way... If I don’t ____________ others will_____________”

FEAR: False Evidence Appearing Real        
             Feeling Estranged And Rejected

Truth

“I will never leave you or forsake you.”Hebrews 13:5 “Confess your sins and He is faithful and just to forgive your sins and cleanse you of all unrighteousness.” I John 1:9 “If God be for us who can be against us? Romans 8:31 Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love. Jeremiah 31:3

No comments: