Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Happy Texting!

Now I know why James said that we should say "if it's the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that" (James 4:15). How many times have I foolishly said that I WILL write this blog regularly?

Okay, I've learned my lesson. I'm not going to say that anymore. It's been a month and a half since I've written a blog. BUT God's will for me for that time was that I completely revise a book I'd written, "Everyday Spiritual Warfare" which will be available for sale on Amazon in a few weeks. AND He helped me write a novella that a different publisher requested. I just finished that tonight.

But today while I was driving, I had a thought - not enough for a book or even a sermon, but just enough of a thought for a blog.

I realized that God used to send His Word to His people through others who spoke it or wrote it down, just like we humans used to have to write notes or letters to people in other places, or send messengers or both.

Later, God sent Jesus and then the Holy Spirit to communicate directly to us. Just like we eventually got telephones and could speak directly to people.

After home or office telephones we got cell phones where we could speak directly to any people anywhere, from anywhere - just like God speaks through His Body when He send us out to proclaim the good news of the Kingdom.

Then the cell phones added texting. Hmm. It's like we have gone back to writing notes instead of talking, but still it's very immediate and personal.

And that's like the Bible. The Scriptures are God's texts to us. Immediate and Personal if we'll read them. Hmm again! They are called texts - "the original words of something written or printed, not a paraphrase..."

So from now on you can think of your Bible as God texting you - open up and read so He can make it immediate and personal!

Happy texting.

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works." II Timothy 3:16,17

No comments: